5 Cranwell Street Henderson, Auckland

How To Deregister A Car?

With a few steps its fast and simple...

Heres a guide om how to deregister your car after selling it to a wrecker

Thank you for reading this post, don't forget to subscribe!

Reasons for Requesting Registration Cancellation

If you wish to cancel the registration of your vehicle, you are required to submit an application in the following circumstances:


  1. Scrapped and Sold to a Wreckers, Destruction or Permanently Useless: If your vehicle has been destroyed or rendered permanently useless.
  2. Permanent Non-usage: If your vehicle is intended to be permanently taken off the road and will not be used anymore.
  3. Relocation from New Zealand: If your vehicle is permanently removed from New Zealand.
  4. Insurer’s Write-Off: If your vehicle has been written off by an insurer due to extensive damage.
  5. Significant Modifications: If your vehicle has undergone significant modifications.


Please note that the cancellation of registration is not applicable in the following cases:


  1. Vehicle Theft: If your vehicle has been stolen and has not been recovered.
  2. Not the Registered Owner: If you are not the registered person of the vehicle.
  3. Plate Loss or Theft: If the license plates of your vehicle have been lost or stolen.
  4. Plate Replacement Only: If you solely wish to replace the license plates.
  5. Plate Return Only: If you have found the plates and want to return them without canceling registration.
  6. Temporary Non-usage: If you are temporarily taking the vehicle off the road.
  7. Unreported Vehicle Sale: If you have sold the vehicle, but the buyer has not informed the relevant authorities.

If any of the situations mentioned above apply to you and you require further guidance on the necessary steps to take, please do not hesitate to contact us.

How to cancel your registration.

To initiate the registration cancellation process, please follow the steps outlined below:

  1. Obtain an Application to Cancel Registration (MR15) form: Visit a registration agent to acquire the MR15 form. These forms are exclusively available at registration agent locations.

  2. Complete the MR15 form: Fill out the MR15 form with accurate and up-to-date information. Make sure to provide all the required details as indicated on the form.

  3. Pay the administration fee: Submit the completed MR15 form along with the applicable administration fee to the registration agent. Each agent has differnt fees for deregistering a vehicle, It can range from $5.00 to $11.50.

  4. Provide identification (ID): Present valid identification documents as requested by the registration agent. This helps to verify your identity and ensure the cancellation process proceeds smoothly. A new Zealand Drivers License is the best ID for this.

  5. Surrender the number plates: Hand over the vehicle’s number plates to the registration agent. It is important to return the plates, as failing to do so may result in the forfeiture of any unused license fees for the registration. If you cannot provide both front and rear plates you can write explaining why you are unable to return these.

  6. Settle outstanding license fees (if applicable): In some cases, there may be outstanding license fees that need to be paid. The registration agent will provide guidance on any outstanding fees that require settlement.


Please note that the specific details regarding administration fees, accepted forms of identification, and outstanding license fees will be provided by the registration agent.

If you have outstanding licensing fees

If the license of the vehicle has already expired, there are two options for settling the licensing fees when applying for registration cancellation:


Option 1: Pay at the Time of Application

If you choose to pay at the time of applying for registration cancellation, you will need to pay the licensing fees that are due from the date the license expired up to the date of cancellation. Additionally, an administration fee will be charged.


Option 2: Pay Later

If you prefer to pay the licensing fees at a later time, the administration fee  must still be paid at the time of registration cancellation. Subsequently, you will receive a payment notice via mail, specifying the outstanding licensing fees owed.

Upon receiving the payment notice, you will have 14 days from the date mentioned on the notice to settle the licensing fees. When making the payment, an additional administration fee  will be charged.

Please note that the payment process and deadlines will be further detailed in the payment notice, which you will receive after selecting the “pay later” option. It is essential to adhere to the payment deadline to avoid any penalties or complications.

Get a Cash 4 Cars Quote today

Sell Your Car Today!

If you have road user charges

User Charges (RUC) applicable to your vehicle are up to date. Please follow the guidelines below:

  1. Determine if your vehicle requires Road User Charges: Verify whether your vehicle falls under the category of vehicles that are subject to Road User Charges. For specific information on which vehicles require RUC, you can refer to the appropriate guidelines or consult with the relevant authorities.

  2. Settle any outstanding RUC: If there are any outstanding Road User Charges associated with your vehicle, it is possible that you will receive an invoice for the outstanding amount. Make sure to address any pending payments before proceeding with the registration cancellation process.

  3. Additional requirements for heavy vehicles: In the case of heavy vehicles, if you are canceling the registration, you will need to provide the current hubodometer and odometer reading on the MR15 form. This information helps record the mileage accurately.

  4. Odometer reading for light RUC vehicles: For light RUC vehicles, you will only need to provide the odometer reading on the MR15 form. This ensures the mileage is documented correctly.


By adhering to these guidelines, you can ensure that all necessary requirements regarding Road User Charges are fulfilled before canceling the vehicle’s registration.

What Happens Next?

The agent will process your application online with the Transport Agency. Once we’ve processed your application, we’ll update the Motor Vehicle Register and cancel the registration, This is all done on the spot online.

What Happens If There Is a Refund Available ?

In the event that you are eligible for a refund of any unexpired license fees paid (excluding the license transaction fee), please note the following information:


  1. Return of Number Plates: To be eligible for a refund, you are required to return the number plates associated with the canceled registration.

  2. Exception for Fire, Accident, or Destruction: If your vehicle has been involved in a fire or accident and the plates cannot be recovered, you will need to obtain a letter from the police or fire service confirming the circumstances. Similarly, if your vehicle has been taken to a wrecker and has been destroyed or dismantled, a letter from the wrecker is required.

  3. Requesting a Refund without Returning Plates: If you are unable to return the plates and still wish to request a refund, you must send a refund request to the NZ Transport Agency. The request can be emailed to refunds@nzta.govt.nz or mailed to Crown Revenue, NZ Transport Agency, Private Bag 11777, Palmerston North 4442. The request should include the following information:

  • Plate number, make, and model of the canceled vehicle.
  • Explanation for the inability to return the plates.
  • Letter from the police, fire service, or wrecker (if applicable).
  • Bank account details for the refund to be paid into. Please provide a bank statement, deposit slip, or screenshot to confirm the bank account number. The refund can only be deposited into a New Zealand bank account.
  1. Refunds for Overseas Departure: If you have returned the plates but are leaving New Zealand and require the refund to be paid into a bank account, contact the NZ Transport Agency at 0800108 809 as soon as you have submitted your cancellation application at an agent. Please note that the refund can only be paid into a New Zealand bank account.

It is important to remember that any refund is subject to audit and will be at the discretion of the Registrar

Cash 4 Cars Company Auckland

Sell Your Car Today!

Find Your Local Agent To De Register Your Car

vtnz how to deregister your car

VTNZ have over 100 branches over New Zealand find your local one here

AA how to deregister your car

AA have 36 branches nationwide open 6 days a week

Drivesure AA how to deregister your car

Drivesure have 5 branches across Auckland